If you feel nervous, scared or a little intimidated no problem. Many people feel that way initially. Just don’t let that stop you from coming to class. Bikram designed this class for beginners. Know, with a little practice, you’ll quickly feel right at home.
Bikram yoga is for everyone. Bikram says, “It’s never too late, you’re never too old, you’re never too sick, to start from scratch and begin again.”
Some Helpful Hints
- Arrive at least 20 minutes before class
- Bring a yoga mat, large towel, and water bottle (these items are available to rent or purchase at the studio)
- Come well hydrated and on an empty stomach
- Wear fitted workout clothes – avoid sweats, long pants and heavy t-shirts
- Please no perfumes, colognes, scented lotions or creams
Special Offer For A Limited Time: 50% off for New Students: Sign-up Here
The 90 minute class consists of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. The Certified Bikram Yoga instructor will guide and instruct you, always with compassion and respect. No one will judge you; there is no reason to be self conscious. It’s helpful to realize that peoples’ focus is on themselves. They are working too hard on their practice, their meditation, to notice the students around them.
Take note of how you are feeling during class. Always work to your edge, but listen to your body and inner wisdom. As a beginner, never be afraid to sit down if you need to. It’s normal, especially when you first get started, to feel dizzy, nauseous or lightheaded. It’s temporary, as your body acclimates and detoxes, these sensations will disappear.
What to Expect After Your First Class
You might feel tired after class. This is normal and a good sign that your body is cleansing. You might feel extremely energetic and have difficulty sleeping—this is a good sign the yoga is working and truly filling you up with energy. Take your second class within 24 hours. The second class is the equivalent of 3 to 4 classes, and you will bypass much if the soreness you’d experience otherwise.
Make up your mind not to judge this practice until you have taken 8 to 10 classes.
Life is always changing. The one consistent you can be sure of is this yoga practice. We do the same 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises in the same order, in every class. What is different is you. Come to Bikram Yoga Natomas and get to know you.
Bikram Studio Etiquette
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early (new students, please arrive 20 minutes early).
- Hydrate before and after class.
- Come to class fragrance free.
- Leave your personal belonging in the change room.
- Notify the instructor of any injuries or medical conditions before class.
- Address any questions or concerns to the instructor before or after class.
- While in the yoga room, before, during and after class, please refrain from talking.
- Stay in the room for the duration of the 90 minute class (if an emergency situation requires you to step out, please notify the instructor first and re-enter class between postures).
- Bring ONLY your yoga mat, towel, and water bottle into the yoga room.
- Refrain from drinking water until the instructor announces the first water break, after the first water break you can take water between postures. Please remember, the time to Hydrate is before and after class.
- Practice stillness between postures and focus on yourself in the front mirror.
- Listen carefully to the instructor and move with the class.
- After class replenish your thirst with plenty of water, electrolytes or coconut water. Nourish your body with healthy food.